Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Wedding and Wings

Grrr. I'm frustrated that I've been so poor at posting the past few weeks (or months...) Sorry to anyone logging in and continually seeing no updates. Since I'm a working man now (at the Brewers Fayre pub/restaurant at Moor Farm), it's hard to find the time when I can properly write about some of the cool stuff that's happened lately; since I want to do it properly instead of just writing "This week I did this, this and this...". Alas, I don't have much time now either, so I'm just going to write a bit about two really cool things, and hopefully I can get into a routine of fitting regular (and hopefully nice and short) updates around my work hours. That's the plan, anyway.

First really big thing that happened recently was my uncle Darrell and his fiancee Sarah (who happens to be a former teacher of mine!) got married at the fabulous Wallington Hall last Saturday. It was a really beautiful ceremony, with some fantastic readings including the poem The Owl and The Pussycat! After the ceremony there was a gathering at Darrell's house in Bellingham, which is in awesome countryside, and in the evening we all went to the village hall for a dance and general revelry. The night was topped off with some awesome fireworks outside Darrell's house, and then over the local hotel for some much needed rest after a looong and exhausting day. The weather had been beautiful to match the occassion, but standing around in the burning sun and drinking alcohol can take it out of you!

On the Sunday it was back to the house for a BBQ, and lots of fun and games on the hired bouncy castle! This involved me and some of the lads from the village attempting numerous front and back flips (some of us more successfully than others!) and culminated in two of the lads grabbing my little brother James (who is light as a feather) by the legs and arms and hurling him spectacularly onto the bouncy castle. Brilliant fun; there should be more bouncy castles just dotted around the place.


Then, a week ago, I flew a plane! Courtesy of Darrell and Sarah buying my a Air Experience Flight voucher for my birthday last year, and the lovely people at St George's Flight Training at Teeside Airport. It was again a really sunny day, although the heat haze made it difficult to see the horizon once I was up. We flew in a 4-seater Piper Cherokee, and it was bloody unbelievable. It was such a great experience; I enjoyed it immensely. Big thanks to my instructor David who was just the coolest guy on the planet. He really put me at ease without me even realising; I'm there flying along at 2,500ft, and he's singing and drumming on the control panel! Possibly the best thing about the flight was that we flew back up the coast to Cramlington, and we saw my house! Many other landmarks were spotted, some of which we caught on camera by Melanie who bravely came with me as my passenger. She really enjoyed it too, which was great.


Me and Dave in the cockpit.


Marsden Rock.


Crammy!


A fantastic shot looking back over Newcastle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home