Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Graduate!

Christopher Jackson; Bachelor of Laws



Sounds pretty good, doesn't it!

I graduated on Tuesday, with Class 2 Division 2 Honours, and a really good day it was too. The ceremony (despite the large number of students recieving their degrees) was kept short, with just ONE speech from the Vice-Chancellor. He even managed to throw in a couple of decent jokes.

Graduating filled me with a lot of different emotions, but one of the main ones was pride. I know I haven't worked as hard as I could have done for my degree, but at the end of it all I am proud of what I've achieved; very proud, even though I wasn't sure I would feel that. I was also filled with sadness; I haven't always had the best time at Uni, and certainly over the past year I have often been counting down the days until I left, yet it was a hell of an experience that is now officially over. And that upsets me. But I am so glad I have had this experience, and although it didn't turn out at all like I expected it too (in more ways than one) I can look back on it now and smile. Upset about a few things, but with no regrets.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very glad to read this. Whenever we spoke it seemed you were always, not just anoyed, but genuinly unhappy that you were doing a degree in Law. I always hoped that one day you'd look past the obvious negative of hating your course and see what an amazing achievement BEING at uni is. Especailly away from home and especially as you didnt like your degree. Being at uni is a great achievement, finishing is something else.

Still an undergraduate I can't comment on the sense of pride i might feel when I finish. But what I can say is this: Hearing the cynic of all cynic's finally admit he loved his time at uni, admit the pride he feels after graduating and most importantly say he has no regrets, makes any doubts of whether i'll enjoy my 3rd year dissapear.

Well done and thanks for making me look forward to my final year and my graduation.

3:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo ho there. How's the writing going?

Now, I know you're not as such into poetry but I found this cool section on the Guardian website and it can be good inspiration for prose as well. It's interesting just reading each workshop anyway... just thought I'd chuck the link at you:
http://books.guardian.co.uk/poetryworkshop/

1:51 am  
Blogger Christopher said...

Hey, thanks for the link. The writing's going pretty well; I may be getting an article published! I emailed the editor of Powerkite magazine outlining an article, and he was very interested in it. Hopefully when I send it he'll like it enough to put it in!

I'll write a proper post about this after I've sent it to them.


And thanks for the comments Kier. I really am proud. I know you will be too come next July.

10:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home