Sunday, March 26, 2006

Caves

If you didn't see tonights episode of Planet Earth, here's what you missed.

  1. Caves so big that a jumbo jet could fly through them.

  2. What looked like a galaxy of stars, but was in fact hundreds of Glow worms using beautifully deadly silken threads to catch their prey.

  3. Crazy people sky-diving into the 400m deep entrance to the Cave of Swallows, Mexico.

  4. A 100 metre high pile (!) of bat droppings.

  5. Hundreds of thousands of cockroaches, who live on said pile of bat droppings.

  6. 6 metre long crystal formations hanging from the ceiling in the Chandelier Ballroom; part of the Lechuguilla Cave, USA.

  7. Gigantic underwater caves, that stretch hundreds of hundreds of miles.

  8. Some of the most bizarre creatures I have ever seen.

  9. Snotites!


Yes, snotites. Basically stalactites formed by bacteria and sulphuric acid that, you guessed it, look just like huge hanging globs of snot. Faaaaantastic.


Before I go on I just want to make a claim. Planet Earth is the best series I've ever seen on TV. Not just the best nature programme, of which I'm sure no-one can disagree, but the best - period.

"Not hard!", I hear you cry, and yes, you only need to turn on the television to any channel at any time of day or night to see how much shite there really is on there, beamed into our cosy homes straight through Lucifer's Dream Box. But once in a while, there really is something on that's worth it.

For the past four weeks now I have sat for an hour watching Planet Earth in absolute awe. The images are breathtaking, the footage stunning, and the coverage enlightening. Each episode has shown things that I, and I imagine nigh on everyone else watching, have never seen before. My jaw has hung wide open on numerous occasions.

If anything, this programme has highlighted just how much stuff there is out there on this planet of ours, that we take so much for granted, that we know nothing about. And that is on our own planet! What about "up there"; in space? And let's not even get started on how little we know about "in there"; in our minds. That we know absolutely fuck-all about.

I really want to talk more about this, and about the previous three episodes - but I won't cos I'll be here all night. And you're probably bored of me already...

Next week: deserts!

*sigh* Bedtime, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home